August to May 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Students must be 5 years old
- 5 days a week – Monday thru Friday
Our certified kindergarten class offers a smaller class size, curriculum guided by Common Core state standards, and an emphasis on Christian values. We differentiate our instruction to the individual student, helping them excel in, and become academically, spiritually, and physically ready to meet the rigor that is now expected from this beginning year of elementary school.
Certified Kindergarten at the WDS Includes:
- Core curriculum of language arts, math, social studies, science, physical education, Bible, music, and technology.
- Meeting of Tennessee state standards with licensed staff.
- A lead and assistant teacher for each class.
- Car lines for drop-off and for pickup.
- Holiday and weather schedule follows Knox County Schools.
- Recess with 5s preschool class.
- Discounted after school care option available 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Children Ready for Kindergarten Should Be Able To:
Begin to Self-Regulate
- Listen to stories without interrupting
- Pay attention for short periods of time to adult-directed tasks
- Start to follow rules and recognize authority
- Speak understandably
Care for Themselves
- Manage bathroom needs
- Button shirts, pants, coats, and manage zippers
- Separate from parents without being upset
- Cut with scissors
- Bounce a ball
- Trace basic shapes
- Begin to share with others
Show Academic Preparedness
- Recognize rhyming sounds
- Understand actions have causes and effects
- Show understanding of general times of day
- Talk in complete sentences of four to five words
- Look at pictures and tell stories
- Identify rhyming words and beginning sounds of words
- Identify some alphabet letters
- Recognize some common sight words
- Sort similar objects by color, size, and shape
- Recognize groups of one to five objects
- Count to ten